Do you experience anxiety? Whether you have an anxiety disorder or just experience anxiety from time to time during stressful periods, you probably want some easy ways to ease the anxiety. Grounding is a way to bring yourself back down to earth when anxiety sends you into a flurry of overthinking. Here are some ways to ground yourself and ease anxious feelings fast:
- Don’t try to ignore or push away the anxiety, instead, acknowledge that it is there. The first step to getting rid of anxiety is actually feeling it and accepting that you are experiencing it. When you try to ignore it, it can get worse.
- Next, focus on your breath. When you get anxious, chances are your whole body starts to tense up and your breath becomes shallow and fast. Shallow breathing just exacerbates the anxiety. Start taking deep and slow breaths.
- Start moving. Take a break from whatever you are doing and go on a walk, dance around, do yoga or go on a jog. Whatever movement you love doing, try it. It gets you out of your head and back into your body. It might feel like the last thing you feel like doing, but it is one of the most effective anxiety remedies.
- Try tapping or EFT (emotional freedom techniques). You use acupressure and mantras to balance your body and emotions and stop your anxiety and overthinking fast. There are lots of beginner books and articles online on EFT to start if you are unfamiliar with it.
- Get out of your head and socialize. Sometimes overthinking and anxiety stems from being too much in your head and it just takes a conversation to help bust you out of your anxiety. So, go out and talk to someone if you can, call a friend or even texting can help.
- Similar to getting out and talking to someone, get out in nature. Just getting some fresh air can help relieve anxious thoughts and feelings. So, drop what you were doing and take a short walk in nature. Put your phone on silent and notice the water moving, the birds chirping or the flowers. This can help you feel better fast.
- Find a relaxing hobby that distracts you. Some great examples are adult coloring books, painting, reading, journaling, taking a bath, painting your nails or whatever hobby you love. It can also help to clean or do something around the house to focus on something other than your anxiety.
- If you find yourself feeling anxious often and these techniques aren’t helping, you need to see a doctor. You might need a prescription or therapy to help ease your anxiety, especially if you are going through a rough time.
Do you experience anxiety? Have you ever tried grounding techniques? Which grounding techniques have you tried and which help you the most? Share with us!