Sometimes it is obvious you need medical help. For example, when you experience an injury, chest pains, intense bleeding or fainting. But there are other subtle symptoms you shouldn’t ignore. Here are the top symptoms you shouldn’t ignore and should seek medical help to find out the cause:
- You suddenly start losing weight without trying. While you might be excited about losing weight without trying, it could be the sign of something more serious. You should see a doctor if you lose 5% of your weight within 6 months to a year without trying. You should especially see a doctor if you are older than 50. You could be experiencing cancer, depression, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, hyperthyroidism, diabetes or another disease or disorder.
- You have a severe stomach ache that lasts more than three days or happens from a trauma. If you also are experiencing chest pain, nausea and vomiting or if your abdomen is distended or tender. You could have a serious disease or appendicitis, which requires surgery. If you are experiencing jaundice (the yellow coloring of skin), you also need to see a doctor ASAP.
- If you can’t catch your breath and are also experience swelling in the feet or ankles, chest pain, high fever, chills, cough or lips or fingertips turning blue, you need to seek help fast. It is common to not be able to catch your breath from exercising, anxiety, asthma, hot temperatures or bronchitis. But if you frequently experience the feeling that you can’t catch your breath or experience other symptoms, seek help.
- If you have a sudden, severe headache and other symptoms such as weakness, dizziness, numbness, tingling, nausea, vomiting, fever, rash, stiff neck or have experienced a head injury, seek medical assistance immediately. Also see a doctor if you have frequent (3 or more a week) or severe headaches.
- If you have a fever that is 103 or higher, your fever has lasted more than 3 days or are experiencing hallucinations, confusion, headaches or severe pain, seek help immediately.
- If you snore, you might not think that you need to see your doctor. But snoring can be a sign of something more serious. If you are sleepy during the day and snore every night, you might have sleep apnea or high blood pressure or a heart issue.
- If you start noticing dark stools and haven’t been eating beets, cranberries, taking iron pills or Pepto-Bismol, you might be bleeding internally, have cancer or an ulcer.
- If you have a dark or irregular looking mole, you will want to get it checked out by a dermatologist. It could be skin cancer. Also get it checked out if you have new moles you didn’t notice before.
- If you can’t quench your thirst no matter how much water you drink and aren’t urinating that much, you could have a heart or kidney issue. Especially see your doctor if you are also experiencing leg swelling and rapid weight gain. You could be dealing with high blood sugar or diabetes as well.
- If you pop antacids every day or experience frequent burping or heartburn, you might need to get your heart and blood pressure checked out.
Did you know these were symptoms that you should never ignore? Share with us your story!