Do you have a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep or both? Most of us have some type of sleep issue these days with our busy, tech-filled lives. But regularly getting crummy sleep can lead to a host of health issues, both physical and mental. Adopt some of these sleep rituals for better sleep tonight:
- Get into essential oils. Essential oils can be really effective for many health issues, especially sleep. Try diffusing essential oils in your bedroom before you hit the hay. Lavender, bergamot or lemon balm are some of the best for drifting off to dreamland fast.
- Give yourself a foot rub or ask for a massage from your loved one. Use a magnesium based cream or some lavender essential oil to help reduce pain and induce some serious relaxation before bed.
- Give yourself a break from blue light. Blue light from electronics like your phone, tablet or TV can confuse your brain into thinking it is day and you need to be awake. Try to turn off electronics at least an hour before bed to help you wind down and get ready to go to sleep. It can also help to turn down any lights in your home. If you get bored and aren’t sure what to do to wind down without electronics, try an adult coloring book or reading an old-fashioned book. You can also help yourself in the morning by preparing your clothes, food and schedule for the next day. This can also help you sleep more soundly because you aren’t worried about everything you need to do in the morning.
- Try a warm drink or a supplement drink to relax and wind down in the evening. Try a magnesium powder to add into any drink, warm or cool, for instant relaxation. You can also try warm milk, decaffeinated tea or anything that helps you relax. Just try to avoid alcohol near bedtime because it can help you fall asleep fast but you will likely have interrupted and restless sleep.
- Try a warm Epsom salt bath. We’ve already discussed how magnesium can help you relax and fall asleep. Epsom salt baths contain magnesium so soaking in an Epsom salt bath can also help you relax and sleep. It can also help you relieve pain and soothe sore muscles.
- Lastly, try journaling. Do you find that you can’t sleep because your brain won’t shut off? Write down everything you’re overthinking. Make list of things you need to do. Try writing a gratitude list to put yourself in a positive mindset. See what works best for you!
Do you have issues with sleep? Do you think any of these tips would help you? For bonus points, try incorporating all of these tips at once for the best sleep ever! Share with us how you do!