Have you ever eaten something and broken out in acne the next day? This is because your diet is directly linked to your largest organ in your body: your skin. A poor diet can cause inflammation which can cause acne and even wrinkles and other types of aging. If you want to make sure your skin is always looking fresh and healthy, here is a list of foods you should try to avoid:
- Salt. If you regularly consume more than 1,500 mg of sodium, you might get high blood pressure and this weakens your skin and reduces collagen. Collagen makes you look younger so if it reduced, it can make you look aged. It can also cause puffiness around your eyes and dark circles. Use a high quality salt like pink Himalayan sea salt or more herbs while cooking instead of regular table salt.
- Sugar. We know that sugar leads to all kinds of health problems and weight gain, but it can also be harmful to your skin. It can accelerate your skin’s aging process and cause acne. The next time you have a sweet tooth, look to grab some fruit as a substitute
- Milk and dairy Milk and other dairy products can contain growth hormones that lead to inflammation. Dairy is also a trigger for acne for a lot of people. Opt for organic milk and dairy products or choose non-dairy options like coconut, almond or rice milk.
- Coffee. Coffee and other caffeinated beverages dry out your skin and can age you faster. If you need that pick me up, drink more water while you are consuming caffeinated beverages or opt for another option like green tea. Green tea is actually very good for your skin because it contains a lot of healthy antioxidants.
- Foods with trans fats. Trans fats are manufactured fats, often found in fast food that clogs your arteries. It takes away elasticity from your skin and can age you faster. Avoid fast food and cook with olive or coconut oil instead of margarine or vegetable oil.
- Chips and other processed foods. Much like foods with trans fats, they increase inflammation and can lead to more wrinkles, fine lines and acne on your skin. Aim for more vegetables and fruits in your diet instead.
- Simple carbs like pasta and white bread. Simple carbs break down collagen and elastin in your skin which can sag your skin. Switch to complex whole grain or whole wheat carbs instead.
Did you know different foods can be harmful for your skin? Which of these items do you regularly consume? Are you ready to give them up for healthier skin? Share with us!