Have you ever questioned your relationship with alcohol? If so, mindfulness is a great way to examine your relationship to drinking and make any changes if you want to. Mindfulness helps you to become more aware of the present moment and increase self-awareness. This can help you avoid self-destructive behaviors and stress. Drinking mindfully means you enjoy alcohol and have fun with friends and family without being worried you might lose control. It means you are always in control of your behavior. However, if you feel you do have a real drinking problem, please seek help.
Here are some different techniques to incorporate in your life to examine your current relationship with alcohol and start to drink mindfully:
- Try not drinking any alcohol for 30 days and examine how you feel along the way. You may want to continue your experiment after the 30 days are over or you may want to drink and see how your relationship to drinking has changed or evolved.
- Journal on how drinking has affected your life, negatively and positively.
- Write down your priorities. Do any of these priorities change when you drink?
- Think about when you drink the most. What is the common theme? When you feel upset? Are you hiding an emotion? Do you drink more in social situations? Why is that? Think of any questions like these that relate to you.
- Set your own drinking limits. Do you want to only drink at special occasions? Always stick to two glasses? Experiment and write down what works best for you.
- Next time you drink, really practice mindfulness. What does it taste like? Smell like? How do you feel when you have a drink versus when you don’t in a certain situation? Be in the moment when you’re drinking and examine how you feel.
- Why are you interested in drinking more mindfully or less? How do you envision your life being different if you drink less? Journal all of these thoughts to go through later.
Do you ever think about your relationship to drinking and alcohol? Do you feel you need to change this relationship in any way? Share your thoughts on this hot topic.