Meal prepping is taking the health world by storm. Meal prepping is basically preparing your meals for the week ahead of time, ensuring you have healthy options on hand for meals and snacks. This will also ensure that you can avoid temptations and avoid grabbing something quick and unhealthy when you need food on the go. If meal prepping seems overwhelming, it isn’t! Once you learn how to do it and set it up, it is an amazing way to have healthy meals ready all week. Here’s our meal prep 101:
- Start with healthy recipes you already know how to cook to keep things simple as you begin. Once you become a pro at meal prepping, you can start to try new and more complicated recipes.
- Pick a day when you’ll prep all of your meals for the upcoming week. Most people choose Sunday because they have the time to shop, cook and prepare. You can also try prepping for two days in order to feel less overwhelmed or if you don’t have much time each day.
- Pick the meals you want to prep. Do you want to prep breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks? Or do you only want to focus on bringing lunch to work? Think about what will make your life easier and be realistic. If you love buying lunch at work and will end up throwing away meals you make, just don’t prep that meal.
- As you decide what meals to cook and what recipes to use, try to balance each meal with protein, fats, and carbs. For example, you could make chicken with broccoli and sweet potatoes.
- Ask yourself if you want to switch up the meals or eat the same thing every day. It might be easier to prep the exact same lunch for the week, but will you get bored of it by day 3? Be honest with yourself if you are fine eating the same thing every day or need to eat different foods.
- Get good containers. Get containers that have dividers so the food won’t touch and a container that is airtight, to ensure your food stays fresh all week. Look for glass or BPA free containers too.
Do you meal prep regularly? What types of recipes do you regularly prep? Share with us your thoughts on this topic!