‘Tis the season… of getting colds that is. If you’ve managed to catch one of these nasty illnesses and like most of us want to get over it fast, try out some of our natural remedies for colds:
- Drink lots of fluids and stay hydrated. Drinking lots of water or other fluids can help keep your throat moist and less painful, break up congestion and keep you hydrated. While drinking lots of water, you can also try tea, fruit juice, ginger ale or chicken soup.1
- If you are very stuffy, try breathing in some steam. Safely boil a pot of water and then after removing from the stove, hold your head over the pot and breathe in slowly. You can also try using a humidifier or sitting in a sauna or hot shower.1
- Make sure you blow your nose often. When your nose starts running, just blow it out instead of sniffling it back in. However, don’t blow too hard or you can give yourself an earache too. The best technique is to press a finger over one nostril and blow gently, repeat on the other side .1
- Try a saline spray or salt water rinse to break up congestion.1
- Get lots of sleep and rest. It will give your body the energy to fight off your infection. Try to keep your body warm as well.1
- Gargle with warm salt water to ease throat pain. It will moisten your sore and scratchy throat. Try gargling about four times a day. You can also try a tea or sore throat spray to ease a scratchy throat.1
- Drink lots of herbal tea. It can help relieve congestion and also soothe any inflammation in your nose and throat. Add some lemon or honey in your tea for another boost of immune assistance.1
- Some other foods to add to your diet when you have a cold are garlic, soup, ginger, and yogurt. These all have been known help your immune system and can help you feel better faster.
- If your nose is raw from blowing your nose so much, try a mentholated salve. It can also help open up breathing passages. Dab a small amount under your nose and put some on your chest, especially before bed. Look for ingredients like menthol, eucalyptus, and camphor.1
- If you are getting a sinus headache, try putting a hot pack on your sinuses. Make sure it isn’t too hot before you apply it to your head and use a washcloth to avoid burns.1
- If you are having trouble sleeping at night due to congestion, try adding another pillow under your head to create a slope to sleep on.1
Do you get colds often? What is your secret remedy to curing a cold fast and naturally? Share it with us below!
1 – Facts from WebMD