Do you wake up almost every day with sore muscles? Do you frequently feel stiff or have back and/or neck pain? It may be a good idea to start stretching more often to relieve some of that stiffness. Here are some everyday stretches to try for tight muscles and stiffness:
- Try a spinal twist. A spinal twist may assist in loosing up your lower back. To do a spinal twist, simply lie on your back with your legs straight and your arms out to your side, reaching as far as you can. Then swing your right leg over your left leg and twist at your hip. Your right leg should be at a 90-degree angle. Your shoulders should remain on the floor or bed. Turn your head and look in the opposite direction of where your bent leg is. Take deep breaths and enjoy the stretch. Then repeat on the other side.
- Take a tip from yoga and do the child’s pose. Start on your hands and knees and then spread your knees wide. Bow forward and lean down, keeping your arms long and extended. Relax and take deep breaths then slowly rise.
- Stretch your lower back and hamstrings by raising your arms above your head and then roll down to try to touch your fingertips to your toes. Inhale as you raise your arms back towards the sky and exhale as you reach back down. Don’t forget to bend at the waist.
- Use a broom or another prop you have in your home to help you improve your poor posture. Hold a broom or whatever you choose to use in front of you with your hands wider than your shoulders. Inhale and raise the broom over your head and down behind you. Try to keep your elbows straight while you do this. Slowly lift the broom or prop back to starting position and repeat a few times to get a good stretch in.
- Open up your chest. Lie on your stomach with your toes flat on the floor and rest your forehead on the ground. Keep your elbows close to your body as you lift up and stretch your chest outwards. Keep your shoulders away from your ears. Lower back down and repeat.
- Finish up with a classic. Sit on the ground with your legs outstretched in front of you. Move one leg in and reach to stretch and touch your toes on your other leg. This may be a great leg stretch, especially after sleeping for 7-9 hours.
Do you feel stiff when you wake up in the morning? Do you feel you need a stretch session during the day or in the evening? What is your favorite stretch? Share with us below!