Do you meditate? If you’ve never meditated, it might seem overwhelming and you aren’t sure where to start. How about setting up the perfect meditation session before you even begin? Then you can have a place to go where you will be excited about quieting your mind and gaining all of the relaxation benefits of meditation. Here are some tips on starting your own perfect meditation session:
- Find a place in your home where you’d like to meditate and won’t be bothered. It could be in your bedroom, in your office, in your living room or even outdoors! Pick a space that is uniquely yours or that you have access to whenever you want.
- Once you find a space, set up a little meditation area. Add little things to make it feel relaxing like a meditation blanket or pillow to sit on, candles with relaxing scents, lamps with a soft glow, crystals or whatever makes you feel calm, yet excited to sit down to meditate.
- Next, decide if you’d like to schedule a time for your meditation or if you are the type of person who will just meditate whenever the mood strikes. You can decide to meditate every day at 6 am or simply just aim to meditate once per day. Take a moment to decide what will work best for you and your schedule. If you have a family or live with others, you might want to try to schedule your meditations when you are alone or when others are sleeping or busy to avoid noise and distractions.
- Then, decide what type of meditations you’d like to try. If you are a beginner, download some guided meditations on your phone or computer. You can find many through apps and videos online. You can also try meditating to soothing music or simply meditate with silence.
- Decide how long you want to meditate. Some people find benefits from a few minutes per day, some meditate in the morning and before bed and some meditate for hours per week. Decide what is best for you. You can also start small with a few minutes and work your way up to a longer meditation session. Don’t forget to shut off your phone and other electronics or notifications to avoid being distracted.
- Remember that practice makes perfect. Don’t be discouraged if you find it hard to slow down your mind and your thoughts. It may take some time to see the benefits so don’t give up!
Do you meditate? What do your meditations look like and what kind of meditations do you do? Share a photo of your meditation space below!