Whether you are a seasoned athlete, avid runner, yogi or somewhere in between, you should know some post-workout recovery tips. These tips may help you in recovering faster between workouts and avoiding fatigue and injury. Here are some of our favorite tips to use after your workouts, no matter what type of workout it is:
- Try eating foods that fight inflammation like broccoli, sweet potatoes or cherries after your workout. Don’t forget protein too to rebuild those muscles!1
- Drink lots of water. You just lost water due to sweating and movement in your body, it is important to regain hydration. Get a 20-ounce bottle of water and drink slowly after your workout. If you drink too fast, it may cause you to get sick.1
- Take deep breaths. If you are out of breath from your strenuous workout, take a moment to relax and regain your normal breathing pattern. While you’re doing this, make time to stretch your muscles to return to your normal day. This has been known to reduce injury and help you recover faster.
- If you need a little extra help as you stretch, try using a foam roller to get deep into the muscles.1 There are many different types and sizes of foam rollers you can try, depending on what part of the body you want to use them on.
- Try a contrast shower. A contrast shower is when you switch the water temperature back and forth between warm and cold water. This may also help you recover faster and reduce your soreness.1
- Remember to take rest days to allow your body to fully recover from your workouts. No matter what your fitness goals are, make sure to take at least one day off a week for rest and relaxation.
Do you work out? What is your favorite type of workout? What does your post-workout recovery plan look like? Will you incorporate any of our tips? Share with us below!
1 – Facts from Shape.com