In winter months, it can be increasingly difficult to work out outdoors. It gets dark earlier and can be rainy, cold or snowy more often. So, what do you do if you don’t want to join a gym and the days of working out outside are lingering? Here are some of the best indoor exercises for those who love staying in and saving money too:
- Grab a jump rope and channel your inner child! Jump ropes may be a great way to get a good cardio workout in, without needing much equipment, time or space. Simply find a jump rope and get jumping!
- Find some stairs and go up and down. If you don’t have a set of stairs in your home, you can make your own with sturdy books or boxes. Simply step up and down from the book or box. You can do this easily in front of the TV and it is a great way to stay active and work your legs.
- Practice your planks for a better core. Get into a push-up position and hold your body up with your arms extended. Start by holding for 30 seconds and work your way up to a longer time. It is a challenging exercise but may be great for building ab muscles.
- Turn on your favorite music and bust a move! Dancing is a great all body workout and it is fun. Play some tunes and dance around. Invite some friends over for a party or simply dance like no one is watching.
- Another workout that doesn’t really feel like a workout is cleaning. Cleaning your home is not only a great way to stay organized and take care of your home, it can be a great cardio workout as well. Think of all the moving around, bending and reaching you do when you clean. Kill two birds with one stone!
- Lunges are another workout that is great for your legs and requires no equipment. If lunges or other moves get too easy for you, try adding some small weights in your hands as you do them.
- Speaking of weights, if you don’t have weights and can’t afford to buy any at the moment, use water bottles, milk jugs or other similar items you can find easily around your house. Increase the liquid every time you work out or switch items as you get stronger.
- In addition to planks and lunges, high knees and jumping jacks are other great alternatives to outdoor cardio or gym machines. Instead of simply running in place, high knees involve marching in place and bringing your knees up as high as you can. Jumping jacks involve jumping up and down, with your arms and legs extended outward. Both are great ways to get your heart pumping.
- Lastly, you can find all sorts of workouts on Youtube or other places online that you can do easily in your own home. Search for the type of workout you love or are looking to try, the time you have to work out and see what comes up for free!
Do you prefer working out indoors or outdoors? How do you switch up your workout routine when the weather gets cold and it becomes dark more often? Share with us below!