When winter rolls around, it might be tempting to sit around on your couch and watch TV all the time. You might grow restless, tired, and bored. Maybe you’re even looking to save a little money, but also want to do something and have some fun with your friends and family! Here is a list of some fun things to do in the winter time that cost little or no money:
- Check out your local events. Many cities have free or cheap events for every different season. Lots of cities also have holiday events this time of year. If your city doesn’t have anything of interest, check out a few local papers or websites for cities near you.
- Drive around and look at the holiday lights! Lots of people put up their lights early or keep them up well after the holidays. It can be fun to drive around with friends and family and check out the different fun displays people put out.
- Plan a night in with your friends and family. Try a karaoke night, board game night, puzzle night, video game night or anything else that is of interest to you and your friends. You can even plan fun snacks and DIY décor that matches the theme of the night with things you already have in your home. Ask friends to contribute games and snacks to keep costs low.
- Use this time while it is too cold to be outdoors to organize and clean your home. Go to each room and get rid of things you no longer use or need. Organize the things you keep and make items easily accessible. While you’re organizing, take time to clean things thoroughly or do chores that often get forgotten like dusting. Donate, sell or give away the items you no longer want or need. This is a way to not only save money but possibly make some as well! You could also take this time to move furniture around or redecorate.
- Enjoy your winter wonderland. If it has been snowing, enjoy the snow in your own backyard! Have a snowball fight, make snowmen, make snow angels, take a walk in snowshoes for a great workout, go sledding if you have a hill nearby or even ice skate if you have the room and knowhow to make your own rink.
- Lastly, if you really don’t feel like doing much and are stuck indoors, get out some old movies or albums. Spend the day with a movie marathon or dancing to your favorite old songs. You could also spend the day reading and catching up on your book list. Try doing some brain teasers like sudoku, crossword puzzles or word scrambles.
What are your favorite cheap or free activities to do in the winter? Let us know below!