When the snow starts to fall or the weather simply cools down, you might be tempted to binge watch Netflix every night. However, too much sitting or screen time may be considered bad for you. You might also simply be bored of sitting around watching TV every night but aren’t really sure what to do with your time instead. Here are some ideas of things to do instead of watching TV:
- Pick up a new hobby or skill. What is something you’ve always wanted to learn but have never tried or really given yourself a chance to learn? If you don’t have any ideas, try learning a language, how to knit, how to play an instrument, or work on a certification or continuing education classes for your career.
- You might be saying right now that you hate reading. Maybe you just haven’t found the right books! Explore all of the different genres of books and ask your friends and family for some recommendations. Try an e-reader or regular paperback or hardcover books and see what you like reading on best.
- Do you regularly hang out with friends and watch TV? Try switching it up. Ask to meet at a coffee shop or bar instead of binge-watching your favorite shows. Try playing board games together or doing a puzzle.
- Start a creative hobby like painting, drawing, writing or doing crafts. You might avoid these things because you don’t feel you are talented enough, but who cares? Artistic hobbies can be very relaxing, no matter what your skill level is.
- Research and try new recipes and improve your cooking or baking skills. I bet your friends and family will love trying your homemade meals and treats!
- Call a friend or write a letter or email to someone you haven’t talked to in a while. Update each other on your lives and catch up. Try to schedule regular phone calls or Skype calls with friends that live far away to keep in touch.
- Go outside! Even if you hate the cold, bundle up and enjoy an activity that you can only do when it is super cold outside, like skiing or outdoor ice skating. Chances are you’ll get a fun memory you’ll never forget!
- Partake in a little self-maintenance. Take a bath or paint your nails. Use this time you could have spent passively watching TV and take care of yourself. Try using a face mask as you soak in the tub to double your relaxation and skin care benefits.
- If the weather is too chilly to exercise outdoors, try joining your local gym, doing yoga, lifting weights, stretching or simply dancing to your favorite songs to stay in shape!
- Clean! What types of chores do you regularly put off? Do you have things in your home that need fixing and you’ve been avoiding it? Now is the time to clean, organize and fix things around the house.
What are some things you like to do in the evening instead of watching TV? Which things from this list will you try? Share with us below!