You probably never force yourself to take cold showers, with the exception of those scorching hot days when your air conditioner isn’t working and you are looking to cool down fast. However, you don’t know what you’re missing! Cold showers may contain a ton of benefits for both your health and your skin.1 Hot showers may feel amazing, but don’t contain any benefits and can actually dry out and harm your skin.1 Here are some of the best benefits of cold showers:
- Cold showers may help you burn stubborn body fat.1 When your body is subjected to extreme cold, it starts burning calories to keep you warm. If you take cold showers on a regular basis and keep up with a consistent diet and exercise routine, cold showers can assist in your weight loss. Just don’t think that taking cold showers alone will help you drop pounds.
- Cold showers can help you recover after strenuous exercise and reduce soreness the next day.1 Many athletes swear by ice baths after vigorous training. You don’t have to go that extreme, but a cold shower after your workout may help you recover faster.
- Cold showers can help you wake up in the morning and keep you alert. If you drag yourself out of bed every morning only after hitting snooze ten times, you might need to try a cold shower in the morning to start your day. Cold showers increase your heart rate and cause you to take deeper breaths to keep your body warmer.1 This may help get you energized and awake for the day ahead.
- If you are prone to illnesses, you might want to try a cold shower. It may activate your immune system response and release more of the white blood cells that keep you healthy.1 Try a cold shower the next time you start feeling ill or during cold and flu season.
- Cold showers can also benefit your hair and skin.1 Have you ever heard that you should rinse your hair with cold water to make it shiny? This isn’t a myth. Cold water tightens and closes your hair cuticle and gives you that shine you crave. It also tightens the pores on your skin, which may help you avoid or get rid of acne.1
- If the thought of a cold shower makes you shiver instantly, start with a warm shower and try alternating to cold then back to warm or just switching to cold at the very end of your shower. This can help your body and mind ease into the thought and feeling of cold showers. If you are feeling brave, jump in and take a full cold shower. This is also a great way to save money and the environment by taking shorter, colder showers.
Are you brave enough to try taking cold showers? Did you know that cold showers had health benefits? Let us know below!
1 – Facts from Lifehack