These days, most of us have probably experienced some type of anxiety from time to time.1 If you are interested in a more natural remedy to ease your anxious feelings, essential oils may be helpful. Essential oils are extracted from plants and have not been diluted with chemicals or other additives.1 Make sure to invest in a good quality essential oil, especially if you are using it on your skin or ingesting it in tea or a capsule. Here are some of the best essential oils to try for anxiety:
- Lavender is one of the most common essential oils and is great for helping you calm down, relax and sleep well. It can also help your nervous system calm down which can help if you experience nervousness or panic attacks.1 Try rubbing lavender essential oil on your feet before you go to bed or diffusing in the air to get the benefits.
- Rose is a great essential oil for helping with panic attacks and anxious feelings. It is also good for balancing your emotions.1 Try adding rose essential oil to a bath in the evening for a luxurious and anxiety reducing cleansing session.
- Ylang Ylang. This is another popular essential oil that can have calming and uplifting effects on your body and mind. It may also help with insomnia if you have anxiety that causes trouble sleeping.1
- Bergamot has a very floral aroma and can help calm you down and reduce insomnia as well.1 It is also very helpful when paired with lavender essential oil.
- You may have heard of chamomile tea, but you can also use a chamomile essential oil for similar calming effects to help you sleep better at night.1
- Frankincense is great to use during meditation because it can give you a calm and grounded feeling. Try diffusing it in the air the next time you feel anxious. It has been found to have a positive effect on pain and depression patients as well.1
Ask your doctor before trying essential oils and be sure to test new oils on a small patch of skin to make sure you aren’t allergic. Always check the labels to make sure which essential oils you are able to apply topically, ingest, or inhale and diffuse in the air.
Which essential oils are you going to try first? Do you ever use essential oils for anxiety? Share your story below!
1 – Information from Dr. Axe